3 min read
The wave made vibrations in the air is known as sound. If someone wants to produce sound waves, then he/she will have to vibrate the molecules of air. The sound waves reach to our ears in the form of signals. After getting the signals of these sound waves, our ears send these signals to our mind. Our mind interprets these signals of sound waves and tries to get an idea of what is heard by our mind. Our ears can hear the sound waves of distinct pitches only. They can’t hear the sound waves below 20 Hz and above 20 kHz. If you are not able to write an academic paper about sound and sound waves, then you can get help from experts in academic writing services. A crossword clue about sound and sound waves is given below;
Mediums and wave types
When we hear sound with ears, then we think that there requires no medium to travel the sound waves from one place to another place. It is totally a wrong observation. Its reason is that air is the medium to travel the sound waves from one place to another place. In order to understand this phenomenon, we can perform an experiment. If we remove all the air from a room and then ring a bell in it, then we will not be able to hear the voice of ringing bell. Its main reason is that there is no medium to travel the voice from one place to another place. There are basic two types of mechanical waves. First is known as longitudinal waves and the second is known as transverse waves. In longitudinal waves, the vibrations of the waves move parallel to the travelling direction of the waves. On the other hand, in transverse waves, the vibrations of the waves move perpendicular to the travelling direction of the waves. If we talk about the nature of sound waves, then we come to know that these waves are longitudinal in nature.
Features of sound waves
There are a lot of features of sound waves. Some of them are given below;
1) Sound waves depend upon the medium in which they travel. First of all, the speed of the sound waves was calculated by Isaac Newton. He proved that we can calculate the speed of sound by dividing the pressure of sound waves over the density. After dividing pressure over the density, we will have to take the square root of it. The formula to calculate the speed of sound is given below;
c = √p/ρ
2) Pitch is also considered as an essential property of sound waves. With the help of pitch, we can get an idea of how high or low the sound wave is.
3) Another important feature of sound waves is duration. With the help of duration, we can get an idea that how long or short a sound wave will travel in a particular medium.
4) With the help of loudness, we can get an idea about the loud and soft sound waves.
5) With the help of Timbre, we can easily perceive the quality of different kinds of sound waves.