3 min read
A comma marks a slight break between different parts of a sentence. The use of comma makes the meaning of the sentence. It separates words phrases and clauses.
Here are 10 most common uses of commas and how to put it correctly.
1. Big clauses and dependent clauses
The comma is used between the big clause and dependent clauses.
o If you work hard, you will pass.
o As he is a strong man, he can win.
o When I reached the college, the peon rings the bell.
2. In the start of Infinitive and Present participate.
The most common use of the comma is between the present participate and infinitive clause. It is a most important thing that you should keep in mind while using a comma.
o To win the prize, he struggles hard.
o Sitting under a tree, he ate food.
3. The separation between the introductory words
o Surely, he will win the match.
o Ali was not a sincere man. Therefore, he did not help us.
4. Information about any Noun or Pronoun
It is used to give information about any noun or pronoun.
o Assam, the tallest boy in your class, can win the race.
o The girl, sitting behind you, is very talented.
5. For the separation of Tag-question
o She is intelligent, isn’t she?
o You are Anwar, Right?
6. Between the direct speech and reporting speech
It is used in the direct speech or reporting speech.
o He said, “I am ill”.
o John,” be attentive in your position”
7. Use a comma before any coordinating conjunction (and, but, for, or, nor, so, yet) that links two independent clauses.
You should learn a few grammatical terms to understand this one. An independent clause is a unit of grammatical organization that includes both a subject and verb. It can stand for a sentence.
Example, “I went to the zoo, and I saw a duck”.
In the previous example, “I went to a sea “and “I saw a duck “are both independent clauses, and “and “is a coordinating conjunction that connects them. Consequently, we insert a comma.
8. Use commas to separate items in a series
It is used to separate items in a series. The last comma is also known as a serial comma and Oxford comma.
o She is a beautiful, intelligent, smart, and educated girl.
o He is a, singer, actor, and player.
9. Use a comma when attributing quotes
If the attribution comes before the quote, place the comma outside the quotation marks.
o He said,” I saw an elephant in the jungle “.
o He told me,” He is weak in Math “.
10. Use a comma to separate the elements in a full date (weekday, month and day). It separates a combination of those elements from the rest of the sentence with commas.
o January 2, 2019, was a bad day for me.