5 min read
Diaphragm Pacing Therapy System: Introduction
· Diaphragm pacing involves electrically stimulating a patient’s diaphragm muscles and nerves using a lightweight, battery-powered system. This causes the diaphragm to contract so that air is pulled into the lungs. It helps the patient to breathe normally.
· Diaphragm pacing helps to reduce or eliminate the time spent using a ventilator or other assisted breathing devices and decreases the risk of respiratory infections. The system is quite useful in COVID-19 patients, who have been mechanically ventilated and are unable to breathe without assistance from the mechanical ventilator.
Key Drivers of Global Diaphragm Pacing Therapy System Market
· Increase in incidence of spinal cord injuries (SCI) and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is projected to boost the growth of the global diaphragm pacing therapy system market. According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center (in 2019), around 17,730 new SCI cases are reported each year and between 249,000 and 363,000 people are currently living with SCI in the U.S. According to ALS Association, nearly 5,000 people in the U.S. are diagnosed with ALS every year.
· Advantages of diaphragm pacing therapy system (DPTS) such as reduction of dependency on mechanical ventilators and enabling patients to breathe & speak more naturally fuel the growth of the global market
· Increase in number of cases with COVID-19 has led to requirement of large number of mechanical ventilators. Diaphragm pacing therapy system is quite useful in treatment of COVID-19 patients, where limited mechanical ventilators are available. As of July 20, 2020, around 3.8 million patients have tested positive for coronavirus in the U.S. In India, around 1.12 million people are suffering from coronavirus. These factors are anticipated to accelerate the growth of the global diaphragm pacing therapy system market.
External Diaphragm Pacemaker Segment to Witness Significant Growth
· In terms of product type, the global diaphragm pacing therapy system market can be bifurcated into diaphragm pacemaker and external diaphragm pacemaker
· The external diaphragm pacemaker segment accounted for the largest share of the global diaphragm pacing therapy system market in 2019. Increase in use of external diaphragm pacemaker in the treatment of congenital central hypoventilation syndrome and cervical spinal cord injury is expected to drive the segment.
Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) to be Most Promising Segment
· Based on application, the global diaphragm pacing therapy system market can be classified into spinal cord injury (SCI), amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), and others
· The spinal cord injury (SCI) segment accounted for the largest share of the global market in terms of revenue in 2019 and the trend is likely to continue during the forecast period. Increase in patients with spinal cord injury (SCI) due to vehicular crashes, accidents, falls, and sports/recreation activities propel demand for diaphragm pacing therapy systems.
North America to Dominate Global Diaphragm Pacing Therapy System Market
· In terms of region, the global diaphragm pacing therapy system market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
· North America dominated the global diaphragm pacing therapy system market in 2019 and the trend is projected to continue during the forecast period. The region’s dominance can be attributed to increase in people with spinal cord injury (SCI) and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), presence of major players, and well-established health care system.
· The diaphragm pacing therapy system market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period owing to increase in adoption of new products and rise in demand for diaphragm pacing therapy systems in emerging countries such as India and China
Key Players Operating in Global Diaphragm Pacing Therapy System Market
The global diaphragm pacing therapy system market was highly fragmented in 2019.
More Trending Reports by Transparency Market Research:
Transparency Market Research is a global market intelligence company, providing global business information reports and services. Our exclusive blend of quantitative forecasting and trends analysis provides forward-looking insight for thousands of decision makers. Our experienced team of Analysts, Researchers, and Consultants, use proprietary data sources and various tools and techniques to gather, and analyze information.
Our data repository is continuously updated and revised by a team of research experts, so that it always reflects the latest trends and information. With a broad research and analysis capability, Transparency Market Research employs rigorous primary and secondary research techniques in developing distinctive data sets and research material for business reports.